Monday, January 6, 2014

Down Under Calling by Margot Finke

Andy Frazer has it made.  Even with his dad's job having been downsized, Andy has a loving family, a great girl-friend, Kelly, who seems to be morphing into a girlfriend, and a wacky life-loving grandmother who lives in Brisbane, Australia.

And who better to have written Down Under Calling than author, Margot Finke, a transplanted Aussie who has called Oregon home for many years.

When Andy and his Grandma begin exchanging letters, all kinds of magic begins.  From an interest in x-boxes and such, Andy and Kelly begin branching out--to all things Australia.  


Grandma Rose's letters are chock-full of wonderment and adventure and even mystery.  It doesn't take long for Andy to realize how lucky he is to have a family like his!



This book is a must-read for those kids who love learning about new and exciting places.  And what kid does not want to learn about Australia and its exotic animals and places to visit.

Down Under Calling is a gem of a read.  The prose is young and fun.  The book is filled--cover to cover--with the wild and wacky tales of that place known as Australia!


This blogger recommends the book to young readers wholeheartedly.  Snag your copy today!



Margot Finke is an Aussie transplant who writes mid-grade adventure fiction and rhyming picture books. For many years she has lived in Oregon with her husband, children, and grandchildren.  Gardening, travel, and reading fill in the cracks between her writing. Her husband is retired, and very supportive. 

Margot didn't begin serious writing until the day their youngest left for college. This late start drives her writing, and pushes her to work at it every day. Margot said, "I really envy those who began young, and managed to slip into writing mode between kid fights, diaper changes, household disasters, and outside jobs. You are my heroes! "

She has 13 published books + Survival by Walkabout, the follow-up to Taconi and Claude, is due out soon.  All her books, +  Video readings, trailers, reviews and sample pages can be seen on her website. Margot also does Skype Author Visits to many schools in the US, and she runs a Manuscript Critique Service. Nothing gives Margot a bigger thrill than to hear that a book she helped polish has been published.  “This is always a huge YEA moment.”

Amazon ( Kindle and soft cover) : http://tinyurl.com/bg9dtxt

18 comments:

  1. Absolutely terrific book by Margot Finke and wonderful review! I enjoyed reading Margot's latest book!

    Warm regards,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna. I loved reading this one, too!

      Delete
    2. Donna, you are always so kind and supportive. Thank you. And hey, Donna writes awesome books for kids too!!

      Delete
  2. Another excellent review, Nancy! And what a delightful way to help children get interested in geography and travel, Margot. In this case, MORE is definitely better than LESS. Keep these books coming! Kind regards, Barbara Cairns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments, Barbara. I couldn't agree more about geography and travel for our kids! So kind of you to comment.

      Delete
    2. Many thanks Barbara. A great review like this is better than winning the lottery!!

      Delete
  3. Margot is certainly an excellent author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jan, she is. I want to thank you for your comments as well!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a fun read. It is definitely on my TBR list, and I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Rosi. I do offer autographed copies of all my young teen books on my website - $2.00 off each book + only $2 postage.
      Gotta get in a plug, mate. You might finish writing a book, but the promo goes on FOREVER!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Nancy, thanks for showcasing Margot's latest. I loved it so much so I'm reading it again. It's a great book about caring, friendship, and support across the ocean and generations. I love the period history look-back and sharing family history -- the cross cultural, cross generational appeal is wonderful. I reviewed it on my blog, too, (http://penelopeannecole.blogspot.com, 10/30/13). Wishing Margot much success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a marvelous comment, Penny! Every bit of what you've said here is true. It is a multi-dimensional book, which contributes so much to the totality of it. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you ALL so much for your wonderfully supportive comments. Penny, re-reading my book is the highest compliment of all. And many thanks to you, Nancy, for this awesome review.

      Using letters as a foundation for the theme of a book is not done often, especially for the 9-14 age group, and I worried that it might not work for reviewers and kid readers. Your comments and reviews have reassured me. Now all I hope for is that it appeals to the young teens I wrote it for. The stories Grandma Rose tells in her letters to Andy are pretty much as they happened or were told to me by my mum - so this part of the book is autobiographical. However, the preset day Grandma Rose. and Andy and his family, are strictly fictional. My mum was a terrific story teller. She could make you laugh or cry, depending on the tale she told - often at her own expense. I wanted some of her stories to shine for a wider audience, and I so hope Down Under Calling will do this for many readers.

      Delete
    3. These comments are so personal and autobiographical, Margot. Because of this, they are priceless. Thank you for sharing your life with kids and adults alike, and all best wishes to you as you carry your lovely talent forward.

      Delete
    4. Nancy, this was a story from my heart. My mum was the most honest person I have ever known, and a major influence on me as I grew up. The older I become the more her words of wisdom come back to me. And I wanted some of her wonderful stories to be enjoyed and giggled over by a larger audience. Even when writing the book before this one, The Revenge of Thelma Hill, Mum managed to take over the role of the ghost without my being aware of it until I was halfway through writing it. Her character was perfect for the ghost, so I decided to go whole hog and use her name in the title as well.

      I guess both my last two books were a tribute to my dear Mum - bless her!

      Delete
  6. Excellent review - what a unique approach to crafting a story! Also enjoyed learning about Margot's career path. Best of luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, your comment 'made' it, mate!! Many thnaks.
    You know, I had my fingers crossed all the time I was writing this, hoping that letters back and forth, combined with segments from their daily lives, would work for this book. This wonderful review by Nancy makes me think it might just work as planned!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Rosi, for your comment and for the heads-up about the post! I've no idea what happened but just checked and all seemed in order. Technology...

    ReplyDelete